Re: Lumber Grading

Bill

Headers are usually in the Structural Joists and Planks grade
classification. These rules apply to pieces 2 to 4 inches thick and 5 inches
and wider.

 Knots must be tight and well spaced. Otherwise they are allowed anywhere in
the piece.

I don't  know what to make of the blackened or distressed areas without more
information.

As for the chamfer, I interpret this to mean "wane".  Wane is bark or lack
of wood from any cause , except eased edges, on the edge or corner of a
piece of lumber. For #1, 1/4 the thickness and 1/4 the width full length or
equivalent on each face, provided that wane not exceed 1/2 the thickness or
1/3 the width for up to 1/4 the length. (Taken from Grading Rules for West
Coast Lumber, Standard No. 17, 1996 that includes DF#1.) That means quite a
lot of wane!

The two grade marks indicates that this lumber may have already been
questioned and regraded. It appears that it was down graded from Select
Structural to No. 1.

You can reject the material. However, the contractor may request that a
certified lumber grader "reinspect" the material. If you are right, the
contractor would pay for the reinspection. If you are wrong, you would pay
for the reinspection.

IMHO, unless the headers are highly stressed, I would accept the headers.

Bruce Pooley
Timber Design
Lakewood, CO