From: Nels Roselund [mailto:n.roselund(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 12:02 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Nail Slip

The list seems to have been down temporarily yesterday -- I'm not sure
that
my question got delivered to the list so I ask it again:

>I'm working with the UBC formula for deflection of a plywood sheathed
shear
wall in Section 23.223 of UBC Standard 23-2.

The deflection determined by the formula and each of the terms in the
equation for shear wall deflection have units of length except the
nail slip
term, which has units of length x length (h has units of inches, and
en --
according to Table 23-2-K has units of inches).

What am I missing?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer<

I've concluded that the value of en must be unitless, instead of in
inches
as stated in the Table.  I'm surprised that I haven't realized the
apparent
discrepancy before -- I've used the formula for years.  The value of
en is
stated as being in inches in my Wood Engineering Handbook by Faherty
and
Williamson, and in the diaphragm deflection formula in the 1973 UBC,
though
in both places it results in a discrepancy in the units.

Is there a derivation of the formula out there?  Is there a different
explanation?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer