Re: agricultural buildings

Harold,

That someone may have been refering to "agricultural" buildings being
exempt from the seismic provisions.  I know that BOCA 1996 exempts some
(if not all...can't quite recall it exactly) agricultural buildings from
the seismic provisions.  I know this cause I am working on one.  To my
knowledge, the BOCA 1996 does not exempt it from snow or wind loading
(there is a "reduced", i.e. lower than 1.0, importance face for both snow
and wind for "ag" buildings).  The primary reason that I looked for the
seismic exemption was that my boss recalled that when taking (or
studying for) the Illinois SE exam he ran across this exemption in the UBC
code (most likely UBC '94 or '91 at the time).  I can't speak with any
real authority for the UBC since I don't get to use it much, but you can
at least check out the seismic section.  If you want the section in the
BOCA code, it is right at the begining of the seismic section.

Hope that helps,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE