RE: Nail Slip

Nels:

The units noted in the code (for an empirical equation that "works")
require that the units on the coefficient be 1/ft, as follows:

delta = ... + coefficient x (L or h) x en + ...

delta is in inches
(L or h) is in ft
en is in inches

Therefore, for units to balance, coefficient must be in 1/ft.

All of this indicates that the code and your references are not in
error; they simply didn't fully document what is going on in the
empirical equation.

The derivation for the equations (including nail slip) is provided in
ATC 7.

-Mike

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                   E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com
Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire Inc.              Tel:(206)292-1200
1301 Fifth Ave, #3200,  Seattle  WA 98101-2699      Fax:        -1201