RE: agricultural buildings

Mark,

The exemption that you refer to is an exemption from needing a building
permit.  The last sentence of that section states that *all* construction
must comply with the UBC, whether or not a permit is required.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mark Deardorf wrote:

>>There is no longer an exemption in the UBC. I am not at my office and don't
have my code here but I recently had the question come up when a friend was
buying a barn.

The language used to be in the first few chapters; the same place where
fences under 6' in height are exempted. The exemption was removed in either
the 91 or 94 code. Ultimately, the building official would determine if the
buildings were exempt or not, irrespective of the code language. You should
check with him.<<