RE: Floor Sealer Hardeners

This is a subject that requires a lot of study.

The people that have researched this the most are:
		Gerard G. Litvan
		Institute for Research in Construction
		National Research Council
		Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
		http://www.nrc.ca/irc/irccontents.html
		Aitken, C.T.; Litvan, G.G. Laboratory investigation of
concrete sealers. Ottawa: Institute for Research in Construction, 1989. 2
vol. (IRC report no. IR 574)
and
		Don Pfeifer and Bill Perenchio
		Wiss, Janney, and Elstner
		Northbrook, Illinois
		312-272-7400
		http://www.wje.com/index.html
		Perenchio, "Durability of Concrete Treated with Silanes",
ACI Concrete International, Nov. 1988.
Another one sho has done extensive studies is:
		Paul Carter
		Alberta DOT
		403-427-6911

http://www.tu.gov.ab.ca/Content/doctype255/production/Table%20-%20Report%20l
isting.html
		Carter, Forbes, "Comparative Evaluation of the Waterproofing
and Durability of Concrete Sealers", Alberta DOT

Additional resources:
Cady, Philip D. 1994. Sealers for Portland Cement Concrete Highway
Facilities. National Cooperative Highway Research Program. NCHRP Synthesis
209. Transportation Research Board. National Research Council. 2101
Constitution Ave. N.W., Washington, DC 20418.

1990. A Guide to the Use of Waterproofing, Dampproofing, Protective, and
Decorative Barrier Systems for Concrete American Concrete Institute. ACI
Committee Report ACI 515.1R-79 (Revised 1985). Box 19150, Redford Station,
Detroit, MI 48219-0150.

Aitken, Claire T., Litvan, Gerald G. 1989, Laboratory Investigation of
Concrete Sealers. Concrete International: Design and Construction , Vol. 11,
No. 11, November 1989.

Foscante R.E., H.H. Kline. 1988. Coating Concrete - An Overview. Coatings &
Linings. Materials Performance MP/September. NACE International, P.O. Box
218340, Houston, TX 77218-8340.

Hazrati, K, Abesque, C, Pigeon, M, Sedran, T. 1997. Efficiency of Sealers on
the Scaling Resistance of Concrete in the Presence of Deicing Salts. RILEM
Proceedings 1997, Vol. 30, No. Freeze Thaw Durability of Concrete p.
165-196.

Kamel, Amr A., Thomas D. Bush , Jr., and Arnulf P. Hagen, 1993. Silane
Performance: Testing Procedures and Effect of Concrete Mix Design.
Transportation Research Record No. 1382. Materials and Construction. Part 2
Developments in Concrete Technology. Transportation Research Board. National
Research Council.
Marusin, Stella L. 1989, Enhancing Concrete Durability by Treatment with
Sealers. Proceedings of the Sessions Related to Structural Materials at
Structures Congress 1989. ASCE, New York, NY p. 270-281.

Rizzo, E.M., Bratchie, S. 1989, Use of Penetrating Sealers for the
Protection of Concrete Highways and Structures. J. Protect. Coat & Linings
1989, Vol. 6, No. 1, p. 62-70.

Smutzer Richard K. and Luh-Maan Chang. 1993. Field Tests of Resistance to
Chloride Ion Penetration on Sealed Concrete Pavement. Transportation
Research Record No. 1382. Materials and Construction. Part 2 Developments in
Concrete Technology. Transportation Research Board. National Research
Council.

Sock, M.D. 1997, Durability of Penetrant-Class, Sealer-Coated, Air-Entrained
Concrete Subjected to Freeze/Thaw. Rhode Island Dept. of Transportation,
Providence, RI. Report No. FHWA/RI/RTD-97-1.

Steele, Jon. 1994. Coating Film Thickness in Concrete Sanitary Sewers: How
Much is Enough? Coatings & Linings. Concrete Advice. Materials Performance
MP/September.

Weyers, Richard E., Jerzy Zemajtis, and Rick O. Drumm,. 1995. Service Life
of Concrete Sealers. Transportation Research Record 1490. Transportation
Research Board Annual Meeting January 1995.

Wright, J., Rizkalla, S, Shen, Z. 1993, Three-Year Field and Laboratory
Evaluation of Linseed Oil as a Concrete Sealer. Canadian J. of Civil
Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 5, Oct. 1993 p. 844-854.

Regards,
Harold Sprague