Laterally Loaded Pier Foundations

I think a similar question to this may have been asked on the list recently
but I haven't been able to track it down in the archives so my apologies if
this is a repetition.

Does anyone know of a simple method to design a small drilled pier
foundation subject to lateral load and/or moment. In my particular case it
is meant to support a 30 foot long swinging gate. But I've seen the same
sort of thing used for small signs, traffic lights etc. I'm looking at
perhaps a 2'-0" dia. x 8'-0" deep concrete pier with a heavy 8" pipe column
coming up through the middle to provide the support for the gate. I figure
there would be a moment at the steel pipe column of about 40 k-ft
(unfactored). I don't have much of a clue as to what sort of soil pressure
this will generate or what sort of pressure would be allowable. At least
nothing more than a WAG.

Thanks for your help,
John MacLean