Re: Welding A615 Grade 60

sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com wrote:

> Whatever you do, don't "whack" a steel vessel in very cold weather. There
> have been some catastrophes where a worker whacked a steel valve or pipe
> in a tank and it acted like cast iron and the entire tank collapsed.
>
> Stan Scholl, P. E.

Wow....I haven't even heard that from people who have "wintered over" in
Artic or Antartic missions.  I know cold-weather can induce brittle
characteristics, but this is pretty neat.  Very few vessels (especially
ASME Section VIII, Div. 1) are used below the magic number of
-20F....even if you're in an area where the weather gets that close,
liquid vessels and lines are often steam-traced.

Bart Kemper, P.E.