RE: Nail Slip

John-

Maybe when solving this equation by hand, the problem with the units is not
apparent, but it is when using something like Mathcad. This is why I had to
include a "12" in the denominator in the first and third terms in my
example.

More importantly, I invite attention to the results of the sample I posted
on the web. Once again, see:

http://www.allendesigns.com/sw/shearwalldeflections.htm

If you notice, this is a fairly "normal" (i.e., moderately loaded) shear
wall. Even though the aspect ratio meets Code (2:1), the deflection is
(slightly) excessive (0.0266h vs. an allowable of 0.025h). This is mostly
due to the use of a HD instead of a PHD or some other device which minimizes
hold down deflections.

Imagine a highly loaded shear wall.

Thanks,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)