Seismic Design of Bridge Foundation

I have a question on the seismic design of bridge foundation.
According to AASHTO for SPC  C & D, the "R" (reduction factor) is taken as 1
and the elastic
effects are calculated to find the foundation design forces. The plastic
hinging values are also computed .
Which one of these will be used for the foundation design? The smaller of
these two or what? I checked out AASHTO but I could not find a clear answer
for that question.I hope somebody is going to help me .
Thanx. :)

Mete