Re: Seismic Design of Bridge Foundation

Mete,

There is a detail explanation of which force level should be used to design foundation in "Seismic Design and Retrofit Manual for Highway Bridges" and  "Seismic Design Guidelines for Highway Bridges".  These documents are available from:

U.S. Department of Commerce
Technology Administration
 National Technical Information Service
Springfield, VA 22161

Their Web site is   www.fedworld.gov

Hope this helps.

Shashi Bhakta
Structural Engineering Division
City of L.A.

>>> mete(--nospam--at)yp.yukselproje.com.tr 08/17/00 07:52AM >>>
I have a question on the seismic design of bridge foundation.
According to AASHTO for SPC  C & D, the "R" (reduction factor) is taken as 1
and the elastic
effects are calculated to find the foundation design forces. The plastic
hinging values are also computed .
Which one of these will be used for the foundation design? The smaller of
these two or what? I checked out AASHTO but I could not find a clear answer
for that question.I hope somebody is going to help me .
Thanx. :)

Mete