From: Pat Ebner [mailto:PEbner(--nospam--at)younglove-const.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2000 6:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Laterally Loaded Pier Foundations

Cantilever poles are covered in the 1997 AREA Manual for Railway Engineering
: Chapter 8 (Concrete Structures and Foundations) , Part 12 (Cantilever
Poles).

>>> john_maclean(--nospam--at)pomeroy.bc.ca 08/16/00 05:23PM >>>
I think a similar question to this may have been asked on the list recently
but I haven't been able to track it down in the archives so my apologies if
this is a repetition.

Does anyone know of a simple method to design a small drilled pier
foundation subject to lateral load and/or moment. In my particular case it
is meant to support a 30 foot long swinging gate. But I've seen the same
sort of thing used for small signs, traffic lights etc. I'm looking at
perhaps a 2'-0" dia. x 8'-0" deep concrete pier with a heavy 8" pipe column
coming up through the middle to provide the support for the gate. I figure
there would be a moment at the steel pipe column of about 40 k-ft
(unfactored). I don't have much of a clue as to what sort of soil pressure
this will generate or what sort of pressure would be allowable. At least
nothing more than a WAG.

Thanks for your help,
John MacLean