RE: Interim Report on FEMA 350 100% DRAFT

I just have one question about steel moment connections, but it's a doozie.

Ref. 1994 UBC 2211.6.2

Ref. 1997 UBC 2213.6.2

I'm under the impression that we cannot design the connections based on
seismic loads times the over strength factor (Omega-sub-naught in the 1997
UBC and 3*Rw/8 in the 1994 UBC) and use the design methodology as specified
in AISC (ASD, of course) p. 4-100 or 4-106 (Type F.R. or Type 1 connections)
even though the above code sections leads one to believe you can.

My question:

If not, why not?

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)