Re: Railroad Box Cars

After you find the sizes and spacing of the members (either by measuring
them or from plans), you may want to refer to an older edition of AISC
such as the 5th Edition, which gives properties of "special car building
shapes" , "carbuilding channels" and other members used in railroad cars.

Stan Scholl, P. E.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:32:00 -0500 Robert Rollo <rrollo(--nospam--at)TEAM-PSC.com>
writes:
> well.  everyday is a new deal isn't it ?
>
> Anyone out there know where to obtain structural and material
> propeties for
> a railroad boxcar ?  I can get mfr, numbers etc. from the car if its
> trackable that way.
>
> Got an inquirer wanting to bury one as a storm shelter and hope it
> does not
> implode from soil pressures.  Course it might float out before that
> happened
> . . .
>
> Any takers ?
>
> Puzzled in tornado-ville.