RE: Grade @ Anchor Bolts

--- Charlie Carter <carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com> wrote:

> >Finally, I have difficulty accepting that a nut or bolt head is sufficient
> for
> >the embedded end of an anchor bolt loaded in tension, so I add a plate
> there as
> >well.
>
> If you look at the details of the research that is referenced in the 2nd
> Edition AISC LRFD Manual (see Part 8, where anchor rods are covered) and in
> related ACI documents, you'll find that headed or threaded/nutted embedments
> can be fully developed with the head/nut only by selecting the proper
> embedment (length). Actually, the results indicated that adding a plate at
> the bottom of the embedment introduced a plane of weakness in the concrete
> that REDUCED the strength of the embedment!
>
> Charlie

Whoa!  This is something that was not mentioned at the ACI 318-99 seminar
(which also covered PCA's strength design of anchorage to concrete, which is
included in the IBC).  Can you (or someone else) please elaborate on this
particular topic / mode of failure?

Keith Fix, PE
Cromwell Architects Engineers