RE: Load Combinations for ASD 9th

Even if you can visualize an earthquake occurring during a re-roofing job, I
have to ask:

What is the probability of THAT happening?

Isn't the design level earthquake something like 2% exceedance in 50 years?

A re-roof occurs every 10-20 years?

Are we talking about a 500-1,000 year event for a structure that won't last
50 years anyway?

Yes, it CAN happen. But, so can an engine falling off an airplane hitting a
roof. Are we going to design for THAT?

O.K., so my statistical analysis isn't accurate, but you get the idea.

IMO, combining wind OR earthquake load with roof live load (even 50% roof
live load) is pretty ridiculous.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS