Re: Nail Slip

Bill, I will send you the derivation of the shear wall deflection formula. Yes,
there are terms within the constant that cancel out in the formula for wall
deflection due to nail slip. The constant is 1/ft, h is ft, and e-n is in
inches.

We have had several test projects where calculated shear wall deflection is
compared to measured deflection recorded in the tests (at design shear load, and
up to 1.4x design shear load). There is good agreement in these values. APA
Report 158 summarizes these observations in cyclic shear wall tests conducted at
UCI.

Yes, hold-down slip can be a significant factor in shear wall deflection,
especially for narrow shear walls (aspect ratio greater than 1.0). We think that
the lag-screw or nailed type hold-downs are best because they limit
slip/deformation. In my opinion, the single-shear bolted-type hold-down should
be used in conjunction with a dadoed shear plate connector, to limit bolt
deformation and potential splitting of the end studs/post.

John Rose/APA