RE: Grade @ Anchor Bolts

ACI 349 Appendix B, which started most of the ductile headed bolt design,
gives specific details for size of anchor head to initiate the shear cone.
Section B.4.5.2 requires the "bearing area of the anchor head (excluding
the area of the tensile stress component) is at least 1.5 times the area of
the tensile stress component".  If you work out the math, most heavy hex
heads and nuts meet this requirement.  ACI 349 Appendix B commentary goes
on to state "Failure is initiated at the outside periphery of the
mechanical anchor (anchor head) and therefore the area of the anchor head
does not contribute to the pullout strength of the concrete and should be
subtracted from the projected tensile stress area in computing pullout
strength.  Thus, it is desirable to keep the effective size of anchor head
as small as possible to reduce embedment requirements.  Tests have shown
that the head of a standard anchor bolt or stud, without a plate or washer,
is sufficient bearing area to fully develop the tensile strength of
bolts...."

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

---------------------- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/DFD on 08/21/2000 07:26 AM

Charlie Carter <carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com> on 08/18/2000 02:33:07 PM