RE: AISC Vol. II Connections Bracing

Ken

The Hc force is part a couple that is needed to resolve the moment created
by the vertical forces that are applied at the column flange (ie @ a moment
arm of 1/2 of the column depth from the work line).  The Hc at the
gusset-to-column will be applied in the opposite direction from the
beam-to-column connection.

You can call me at (704) 394-5376 if I was not clear in this message.

William Pulyer PE
Charlotte, NC