Re: seaint Digest for 20 Aug 2000

On 8/21- Keith Fix said:

>Will SAC ever find its way into the New Madrid fault area?  These new FEMA
>documents at least double seismic loads for almost all buildings in this
vicinity.

The FEMA/SAC documents (i.e. FEMA 350, 351, 352, 353) do nothing to change the
requirements of FEMA 302, which is the basis for the IBC-2000 or to the
prevailing building code.

As to whether or not seminars will be presented in the New Madrid zone - there
are no current plans for such seminars.  However, AISC is contemplating
presenting a more extensive series of seminars, around the U.S. that could
include the SAC material. Also, engineers in the New Madrid zone, or elsewhere,
can call FEMA's toll free number to obtain the publications, free of charge.
The toll free number is avaialble on FEMA's web page.