Re: Local Area Network

hans boge wrote:

> Peer to Peer networks are like christmas tree lights.  If you loose one the
> whole system is down.  In a central server if one machine goes down, the
> rest of the office and the printers keep going.

That isn't true. It depends upon what architecture you have.

My P2P is a "star" architecture with everything going through a router. If the
router goes down (HIGHLY unlikely), we're screwed, but the same is true of a
server. In fact, that's really all the server is: A "smart" router that also
stores data (and sometimes applications¡ long as you're not using something
brain-dead like Windows NT).