From: TB [mailto:krill(--nospam--at)dedot.com]
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 3:32 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Investigation of wood decay in glulams

I have a project that involves assessing the limits of deterioration in
existing glulam beams.  The ends of the glulam beams, which cantilevers
beyond the exterior bearing wall lines are exposed to weather and suffered
wood decay.

My main concern is trying to determine if the wood decay has extended into
the interior of the building, past the bearing walls.  This is mainly a
first pass visual inspection only for now, some probing but no demolition of
archtectural finishes.  So I was wondering if anyone can recommend a piece
of equipment that will perform density checks using sound waves.   I like to
be able to quantifiy the amount of damage by indicating extent of the cross
section that is lost.  Any suggestion for field testing, and methods of
repairs will be welcomed.

Ty Bunden, SE