Re: Water hammer

JCohen wrote:

> Are there any dynamic effects to consider in designing the support for a 200
> foot vertical 12-inch diameter water pipe, whether regarding to a falling
> column of water, air pockets or surge from pumps? The pipe is to be
> supported at its base by welding to steel beams at mid-span. No other
> vertical support is planned.
>
> Many thanks for any guidance.
>
> James Cohen
> jccpc(--nospam--at)msn.com

SHORT ANSWER: Yes, there are dynamic effect to consider.  They are
dependent on rate of flow, upstream and downstream valve operation,
upstream and downstream pump operation, and other goodies.  You also can
get signficant "standing wave effect" with a long vertical run, and a
midspan support may not help or may not help enough.

LONG ANSWER:  *gotten from a mechanical engineer or someone else with
experience in this area*