RE: Updating our structural library

Ghassem,

I think others have answered most of your questions, but just in case...

With regards to IBC vs. UBC (or BOCA or SBC), it all depends on the
jurisdiction covering the project.  At this point, I don't know of anyone
who has adopted the IBC yet, although it would suprise me if someone has.
Different states handle it differently.  Califorina, as I understand it,
will adopt a code and "force" all the cities to adopt it (or something
more strict).  Michigan is a free for all.  Each city/township/etc can
adopt what they want (although I believe there is some talk to switch to a
California method).  The end result is that some jurisdictions may have
already adopted the IBC but other may not adopt it for as many as ten
years or more.  For example, the Chicago building code (at least the
latest one that I saw...1998) still references the ACI 318-83 and that
Chicago code is not even based upon one of model codes (ie it is not an
adopted model code with admendments).

If you do get the IBC code, then likely document that you will need to
obtain for structural design are:

ACI 318-99 (this is the code and commentary) for concrete
ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402-99 (this is the code and spec with commentary for
    both) for masonry
Aluminum Design Manual & AA ASM 35 (I am not sure what the AA ASM 35 is
    but I have seen and used the Aluminum Design Manual) for aluminum
AISC LRFD or ASD Specification for Structural Steel Buildings (this can be
    obtained either as part of a steel manual or seperatedly...most
    current LRFD is 1993 although new version is forthcoming as Charlie
    mentioned and most current ASD is 1989) for steel
AISC Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings (available on
    AISC's web page...need 1997 version plus Supplement No. 1 dated 1999)
    for steel seismic
National Design Specifications for Wood 1997 for wood (WSD design)
AF&PA/ASCE-16 1995 for wood (this is the LRFD standard for wood)
ASCE 7-98 (or 99?) for general loadings requirements (mostly wind)

Other items that you may need, depending on what type of projects you work
on:

AISC HSS Connecions manual (includes the HSS spec...spec might be
    available seperately...Charlie?  comments??)
ACI 301 (generic concrete spec)
ASTM books
AWS D1.1 1998 (or 2000) (main welding code) and D1.3 (sheet metal welding
    code) and D1.4 (rebar welding code)
PCI Design handbook (for precast/prestressed stuff)
AITC standards and documents (for glulam construction)
AISI spec for cold formed steel members
ASCE 3 for composite slabs
ASCE 8 for stainless steel members
FEMA 302 (finally one that is FREE!! although some AISC specs are free
     too)
SJI specs for joists
and so on, etc., and many $$ later...

As someone pointed out, there is a list of referenced publications in the
back of the IBC.  But the main ones that you would likely need are in that
first list that I gave.  Of course, you may not need to do wood or
aluminum...

Hope that helps,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE