RE: PE exam

Paul,

You are definitely correct about the time constraint when first applying
to take either a PE or SE exam.  Generally, the application material must
be sent in 3 or 4 months before the exam.  However, my experience has been
that typically the time requirement for retaking the exam is must shorter.
Keep in mind that they don't have to review all the application material
again (references, transcripts, etc.) if you are retaking the exam.  If
you are retaking the exam, it is just a matter of signing up for the
actual exam itself, which usually has only a month required lead time.  At
least that was the way it was when I had to retake Structural II in
Illinois.

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE