Re: Water hammer

>Are there any dynamic effects to consider in designing the support for a 200
>foot vertical 12-inch diameter water pipe, whether regarding to a falling
>column of water, air pockets or surge from pumps?
You might want to look at the applicable piping standards B31.x or
perhaps AWWA standards for minimum support requirements. A run of 12 in
pipe this long is pretty heavy and likely to be _very_ soft. Just for an
exercise check the natural frequencies of the system--I expect you'll
find it very wobbly. And yes water hammer is a concern as is wind and
seismic for two other dynamic considerations. A pump running at the right
frequency could resonate the system.

I don't think I'd weld the pipe wall directly to a support, either.
Better to support it with hangers designed for the purpose.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw