From: Bill Allen [mailto:Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 11:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry Shear Pier Design - Balanced Strain Condition

I understand a balanced strain condition for a shear pier with bars only on
the outermost cells, but how does one determine a balanced strain condition
for a shear pier with distributed steel (bars in every cell)? It would seem
like to me that, if the outermost bars only were at a strain of Fy/Es, then
the interior bars would be at fs<Fy and the Moment Mn would be less than
that for the condition where P=0.

Any help?

TIA,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)