From: E.B.Davison, P.Eng. [mailto:rndeng(--nospam--at)planet.eon.net]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 12:29 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Anchor Bolts

I noted some years ago when assessing tornado damage that "hooked" anchor bolts pulled straight out of the concrete leaving nothing but a 3/4" diameter hole.  Since then, when anchorage is critical I have specified straight anchor bolts with a minimum 3"x3"x3/8" plate between two nuts at the end of the embedded bolt.  Contractors and fabricators complain but the bolts do not pull out.

B.Davison, P.Eng.
RND Engineering (1997) Ltd.
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2M9
1(780) 465-8995