RE: ACI318-99 load combination question

For seismic effects associated with groundwater, I agree your geotechnical
engineer should be including this in his dynamic soil pressure
recommendations. I was thinking more of the situation where you have large
tanks integrated in the building structure.

I do a lot of water storage and wastewater treatment structures in seismic
zones, and you have to consider the seismic loads created by the mass of the
water. For simple circular and rectangular tanks on grade, there is some
"simplified" methodology for estimating base shear and pressure profiles
that was developed by George Housner of Cal Tech in the 50's and lives on in
American Waterworks Association Standards.

Housner's methods were published in some monographs and later in TID-7024, a
publication related to estimating loads for nuclear structures. You may also
find them referenced in books on structural dynamics, which sometimes
include a little discussion of hydrodynamic loads for dams and tanks. There
are lots of good papers on the subject, but I've yet to run across a
textbook devoted to the topic which really lays it all out for you. If you
have access to a decent university engineering library and want to look up
experts who have published on this subject, some recurring authors are
Housner, Haroun, Veletsos, Wozniak, Clough.

The mathematics involved in direct solutions are excruciating, and require a
very sophisticated level of math expertise (way, way over my head.) "Exact"
solutions involve partial differential equations and take the form of long
formulas full of Bessel functions and mind-numbing infinite series. Only a
couple of reservoir shapes have published solutions. Even Housner's methods
are based on approximate methods. For odd shaped tanks and reservoirs,
software is now available to solve for the wall pressures using
computational fluid dynamics, but the software is expensive, and most jobs
wouldn't justify the cost involved.

In addition to wall pressure and floor pressures created by horizontal
movement (and don't forget those sloshing waves), vertical accelerations
effectively increase the specific gravity of the fluid, creating more wall
pressure. Building codes avoid prescriptive methodology for determining
these kinds of loads. You are basically on your own, and have to research
the subject to come up with defensible numbers.