wall shear in ACI 318-83

I don't quite understand the conntribution of steel to the shear resistance
en the ACI formula, that indicates that ph*fy (% of horizontal steel times
fy) should be multiplied by the transverse area.  The operation doesn't
equal the total steel that goes through a crack, because cracks in walls are
not in 45° angles but are from corner to corner.  Is the reason to be more
conservative?

thanks in advance

Tomas Matta