Re: MEZANNINE FLOOR VIBRATION

Structural response to mechanical systems is one of the reasons this
mechanical engineer has gotten interested in structural engineering.
Yes, in most cases vibration isolators do a good job at protecting the
structures.  If the isolator manufacturer can get good data from the
structural engineer, the mechanical/process engineer laying out the
equipment, and the equipment OEMs, life tends to be good.  Problem can
arise when what goes on the floor changes, either after the specs are
made and not adjusted for or down the road, if equipment is
added/removed/deleted (and if the specs were off, too.)

If there is just one driving equipment item, it is not difficult to
check for natural resonance for the structural steel.  However, have
several equipment items on a floor, or even several major items within
the building off the ground floor, can create a dynamic situation that
is not easily calculated.  Variables will include if one or some of the
equipment is off/idling while others are at full speed.  While this
situation is often addressed by "overdesigning" the structure, it
doesn't always work.

Your isolator mfr. will not promise it will always work due to liability
and the many unknowns that occur.  However, these isolators are pretty
reliable if they have all the data they request and its accurate at the
time the equipment is in use.  I would do a "gut check" on the floor's
natural frequency to be sure you're not near the equipment's, though.

Bart Kemper, P.E.