REF: Flowable Backfill

Ed Fasula,

Flowable backfill is frequently used in backfilling trenches.  This eliminates
expensive backfill compaction in tight spaces.  It is also used as a
foundation base material.  Typically one would use 1bag of cement in 1
cubic yard of concrete, and enough water that it flows by gravity and
levels or as the job constraints call for.  I believe it provides a compressive
strength of about 75 psi to 150 psi for foundation purposes.  I think there
is an ACI Committee on this topic, which you should investigate.  My direct
experience years ago was with trenches only.  But I know it was used
for foundation purposes as well.  Since it provides a wet base which will
gradually dry, I do not know what pitfalls are involved here.
The above may provide you starting basic info.  You need to check
details.

Vinod Sahni, SE