Re: Engingeering vacation spots

Being from Arizona, I must point out that the Hoover Dam is in Arizona as
well as Nevada. Another engineering point of interest in Arizona would be the
London Bridge in Lake Havasu.

Like most other Arizonians, I hail from elsewhere - some other state items
include:

Illinois: The Chicago River- While the skyscrapers may be impressive, the
thought of reversing the flow of a river is mind boggling. (Let alone that
this was done over 100 years ago)

Iowa: I cannot think of any engineering scenic points in Iowa, however there
is always the Field of Dreams. On the other hand, one (almost) point of
interest is Keokuk, IA. This is the location where the first major bridge
across the Mississippi River was to occur. However, some of the locals were
not impressed with the idea, so they moved it to a small town south of there
called St. Louis.

Wyoming: Consider the antelope horn arch in Jackson. What is the compressive
strength of Antelope horn?

Richard Dahlmann, P.E.