From: Ed Fasula <tibbits2(--nospam--at)metro.lakes.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Monday, August 28, 2000 6:54 PM
Subject: Flowable Backfill

We're designing the reinforced concrete cap for a cylindrical fiberglass
wetwell.  The mfgr. calls for the cap slab to bear on perimeter compacted
soil.  Since the cap will be at grade with heavy truck traffic, I asked the
geotechnical engineer to spec the backfill & compaction.

He recommended "flowable backfill."  Which I understand as basically a weak
mix of concrete.  We called a couple of ready-mix plants and they were not
familiar with it.  Can someone give us the pros & cons of this stuff and a
design mix or a lead to one?  Is it safe to just give the mix design to the
plant and have them treat it as a typical concrete order?

Regards,

Ed Fasula E.I.T.