Fwd: fire station doors

--- Begin Message ---
In a message dated 8/28/2000 4:56:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
seaonc2(--nospam--at)hotmail.com writes:

<< Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the State Seismic Report on
Fire
Station Overhead Doors (I believe the author is Fred Turner)?

Thanks in advance,

Russell Berkowitz
Forell / Elsesser Engineers

      Subj:       Re: Fire Station Doors
    Date:     7/27/1999 3:52:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    From: fturner(--nospam--at)quiknet.com (fturner) To:   Rlfong(--nospam--at)aol.com

Ron - EERI   published this along with two other reports and its available for
$15 plus $5   shipping from them. For more info, see http://www.eeri.org

The bottom   line is that if you are planning to install new garage doors,
check for drift   compatibility. Most conventional door systems in flexible
structures will not   meet Section 1633 of the CBC. There is quite a cost
premium for systems that   claim to be drift compatible and such systems have
yet to produce full scale   tests to substantiate their claims.

Also, crews in existing fire stations   need to be trained to respond quickly
to stuck doors after earthquakes.   Delays in past earthquakes have varied
from 1 to 30 minutes - generally in   the 5 to 10 minute range - an eternity
for most responders.

Fred

also check http://www.seismic.ca.gov/reports/sept99min.htm

Ron