pile replacement

I have a project that involes replacing timber piles on an existing timber bridge. The new piles will be timber. There is approx 6' to 7' from the mudline to the soffit. The superstructure is timber decking, x-ties, and stringers. It has six spans, simply supported. The substructure  consists of 7 timber pile groups with timber caps.

The most feasible option that I can think of right now is to drive a pile on either side of the existing cap (through the deck) and the use a sub-cap under the existing cap to transfer the load. The existing pile would then be cut off below the water line. This technique will leave the existing cap in place, but it reduces the area for flooding, increases the risk of collecting debris and double the amount of piles necessary.

I would appreciate any comment or suggestions regarding this subject. I would prefer to drive one pile.

KL