From: Kent LaRose <KLaRose(--nospam--at)mcelhanney.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 1:26 PM
Subject: pile replacement

I have a project that involes replacing timber piles on an existing timber
bridge. The new piles will be timber. There is approx 6' to 7' from the
mudline to the soffit. The superstructure is timber decking, x-ties, and
stringers. It has six spans, simply supported. The substructure  consists of
7 timber pile groups with timber caps.

The most feasible option that I can think of right now is to drive a pile on
either side of the existing cap (through the deck) and the use a sub-cap
under the existing cap to transfer the load. The existing pile would then be
cut off below the water line. This technique will leave the existing cap in
place, but it reduces the area for flooding, increases the risk of
collecting debris and double the amount of piles necessary.

I would appreciate any comment or suggestions regarding this subject. I
would prefer to drive one pile.

KL