RE: Engingeering vacation spots

Check out the Foothill Bridge in Auburn, California (close to Sacramento).
It's in the Sierras and spans over the North Fork of the American River
(popular but illegal for bungie jumpers).  If you continue down Highway 49,
you can go below the bridge and fish or pan for gold, Eureka!...or you can
go into the old mining towns.  If you go into Coloma there is a museum and a
lot of the old old old equipment they used in for gold mining and timber.
There are also a few abandoned bridges along the way.  Highway 49 continues
to Placerville and Lake Tahoe.  It's a great ride.