Re: Engineers on vacation

A "vacation" is a period of time (usually one week, rarely two) that an
engineer pauses his work, spends quality time with his/her family.  The goal
is to "decompress" one's mind, reduce stress, increase the likelihood of
long life.

The decompression period usually spans the entire first day.  During the
decompression period, it is advisable for children to be as quiet as
possible in the car.  Relaxation can be achieved only after completion of
the decompression period.  If the engineer owns a lap top computer or has
establish a means of communicating with workmates, decompression may not be
achieved.

During the last day of "vacation", some "recompression" is inevitable.  This
recompression is due to the realization that problems and workload,
abandoned during the "vacation" period, have festered.  Although architects
and other clients enjoy big-adventure vacations of their own, they do not
have the ability to understand that while the engineer is on vacation
his/her work output is reduced.

As a general rule, the recompression stress attained tends to exceed the
initial pre-vacation stress, resulting in a net decrease in the engineer's
potential longevity.

Self-employed engineers should not participate in vacations.

John P. Riley, SE
Riley Engineering
Blue Grass, Iowa
319-381-3949