Re: Seismic Mechanical Restraints

Michael,

I knew I had a Commentary by SEAOSC in my file in the scope of engineering
services related to non-structural elements.  I found it and was appalled to
see that it is from 1975 -- how time has flown [I think I've said that
before].

Anyway, at that time the issue was not clearly resolved, but the general
view was that the attachment or anchorage of equipment also relates to sound
attenuation and vibration isolation, and should be a part of the mechanical
engineer's responsibilities..

At that time, the bracing force levels were not well defined in the Code --
now we have the means in the Code to determine them based on equipment
period and height in the building.  The SE is probably more familiar with
working with the Code provisions that the ME.

The matter needs to be negotiated, because there seems to be no standard of
practice in the profession on who designs the bracing.

Defining the weights on the drawings seems prudent.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer