RE: Auger Cast Piles

From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com [mailto:Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com]
Subject: Auger Cast Piles

I have a project in Northern California with approximately 1400 (16" and
24" diam.) auger cast concrete piles.  This was recommended by the soils
consultant and after review of the boreholes and CPT tests they seem
appropriate for our site.

Does anyone know who the major contractors are who specialize in this work?
I understand this is a special art and not a lot of contractors do this
type of work.

I don't think there is an art to it, but you might want to contact:

patrick durnal
@Ben Gerwick
415-398-8972

If they don't do them, he should be able to point you in the right
direction.  Also if your uneasy about using them, you can specify load
testing.  There are some contractors who will test their piles to failure if
you want them to.

Bart Needham, SE

also, I have heard that there is a web site for pile driving contractors
which you can use by checking the type of foundation system that you are
using and it has a search function to gather all the names of contractors
that have installed those foundation types.  I haven't found it yet, though.