Auger Cast Piles

Locally, we call what you've described a "caisson" or a "drilled pier."

An "auger cast pile" is accomplished with an auger having a center pipe
through which concrete is pumped during withdrawal, thus eliminating the
need for steel pipe casing in unstable soil.

John P. Riley, SE
Riley Engineering
Blue Grass, Iowa
319-381-3949