Re: Engingeering vacation spots

Here's a few for Oregon.

     1. Bridges over the Willamette River in Portland.  Within about 13 miles
you can see a suspension bridge, arch bridge, lift bridges, bascule bridges,
simple trusses, continous trusses.  On of the lift bridges has the forth highest
lift in the world.  Another lift bridge is the oldest operating lift bridge in
the US.  Still another lift bridge is a two level bridge where the lower level
can be raised independent of the upper level.

     2.  If bridges aren't your thing, try any of the dams on the Columbia River
between Washington and Oregon.  The drive on I-84 thru the Columbia Gorge is
worth a trip on its own.

--Kipp A. Martin
   Portland, Oregon