Re: Engineering vacations

In Providence, Rhode Island, you could consider:

1.  The downtown streets, at one time, was the widest bridge in the
country.

2.  The Railroad tunnel under Brown University hill is not unique, but it's
interesting -- The head of the geology department of Brown University had
the logs of the tunnel.  Since the tunnel was concrete-lined, the logs were
more interesting than the tunnel itself.  The train station was also worth
considering (if it still exists).

3.  The State House -- Same designer as the U.S. Capitol.  Masonry
foundation(s), basement and sub-basement.  Built before elevators, but the
designer anticipated them.  Elevator shafts are round, and (in the
sub-basement) you can walk underneath the elevator -- It's a bit of a rush
to look up and see an elevator coming toward you.  The statue on top of the
dome is entitled, "The Independent Man".  He is standing on a rock, with
one fist clenched onto the top of an anchor, and the other holding either a
sword or a spear -- You get the idea.

4.  The old theatre down town (The Albee, I think) is one of the fine old
theatres.  When I was there in the early 60's, it had been recently
restored and was really nice.  The balconies were very steep, and I traded
my ticket near the rear of the balcony with a young woman on the front row.
 She had vertigo, and *knew* she would fall if she got that close to the
rail.

5.  As a southener, I found the heating system in Brown University library
interesting.  In front of each window was a slot in the floor.  You could
look down all the way to the bottom.  In the winter (when I was there) you
could feel the warm updraft from below, and I didn't feel a cold draft
anywhere.

Thanks for the chance to indulge in some memories.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561