Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

Okay, I'm going to have to finally come clean, and admit my abstruse ignorance.
It pains me to have to do so, but unless I ask stupid questions--and thereby
expose myself as stupid--I know I'm not going to get wise to the answer. So here
goes.

My understanding of "rigid" vs. "flexible" diaphragm design is that the former
is appropriate for seismic design, where the dynamic nature of the force--it's
sudden introduction and just-as-sudden change in magnitude and direction (or, in
short, it's impulsive characteristics)--means that the actual flexibility of the
diaphragm itself and its connection to other elements is meaningless. The forces
are introduced solely on the basis of the relative stiffness of the shearwalls.

The latter, however, is used, I might say "exclusively", for lateral loads such
as wind, which are characteristically more a "steady state" force whose
influence due to impulse is much less. In that case, the "flexible" diaphragm
imparts its force equally to the active shearwalls.

Now, did I get that right, or did I just display irrevocable ignorance? OR...is
it ignorance, but their is hope?

Please, enlighten me.