Shop Drawing Review - Req'd Of SEOR In Texas? Elsewhere?

I have been told in the past, that the Structural Engineer of Record is required
by the P.E. board (or some other statute, perhaps) to be directly responsible
for shop drawing review. I know that when I was performing work for TxDOT in
recent years, TxDOT's practice of providing such reviews themselves was
discontinued in favor of that work being performed the consultant engineer who
had done the original design.

Can anyone quote me chapter and verse in this regard? I can't find it, and I
want to bring it to the attention of a client who stated that he "didn't see any
reason for me to review shop drawings on his project".

Thanks.