From: James Hagensen [mailto:JHAGENSEN(--nospam--at)HNTB.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 9:54 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Auger Cast Piles

We have never used augercast piles smaller than 14". A better size and the
size we have used the most is 18".  This size worked best since we used the
piles in seismic zone 3 and had lateral loads in the piles.  (At 14"
diameter you can' get much of a cage in the top of the pile allowing for 3"
clear around the cage.)  Bending moments and ductility requirements in the
upper portions of the pile greatly effected and often controlled the design.

Jim Hagensen, SE