Designing Steel Connections - What Is Required On Drawings?

Another question in a similar vein to those I've posted recently.

The "old practice" in routine (i.e. non-moment resisting) connections was to
simply put the maximum loads needed to be resisted on the drawing, and let the
detailer take care of them, since in theory at least, the detailer "knew" the
preference(s) of the fabricator.

Then, post-Kansas City--and with the cost of litigation on the rise--engineers
of record began to give more specific information. At least that's the way I
believe I've seen it.

What is "required"? What are the legal implications?

I have a set of "go-by" drawings from a client where, for example, a connection
of a W beam to an HSS is shown with a shear plate, and some vague instructions
"3/8" plate weld to column and bolt to beam with 3/4" erection bolts". I guess
you could say that's a "design", but there is no weld size given (my only real
problem with the detail).

Also, doesn't the term "erection bolts" connote bolts that are "temporary" in
nature? Haven't there been instances of A307 bolts used as "erection bolts" for
example? If so, is this not possibly misleading?

Any input would be appreciated.