"Special" K-Joist vs. KCS Joist

Hey, all you out there in StructuraLand(tm).

Here's a topic for discussion.

If you're handling such things as large concentrated loads (e.g. Rooftop
equipment like RTUs, etc)., which is less expensive: Calling for a "Special"
joist by giving the contractor a load diagram, or selecting a "constant shear"
KCS joist?

The Vulcraft catalog that I have hedges on the issue of cost-effectiveness. I'm
wondering if a KCS joist might be a better idea even IF you know where the load
is going to be. And if you're NOT sure--or if the contractor is in the habit of
putting the equipment at a location other than what is anticipated--it seems
that KCS would be hands-down choice.

I'd like to hear other opinions.