Re: ASCE News Structural Community......

Are there any advantages to separate structural licensing?  If you're into
bureaucracy, perhaps there is.  But, if you'll notice, the "Civils" and
bridge designers make the big bucks in engineering.  They feed bountifully
from the public trough.  Can you spell "pork barrel"?

I realize that it's desirable to have stronger academic credentials, but
give us a break here.  Let's not add to the years in school, but reduce the
number of "politically correct, academically questionable, structurally
useless" classes in the universities.

I'd cast my vote for a higher level of academic preparedness, but let's
ditch the humanities courses.  Make the math courses more rigorous on the
front end, and give us a better foundation on which to build.

But don't...  DON'T blindly increase the years in school.  I come from
working stock, and graduated in engineering in 1962.  There is *no* way I
could have afforded to go to school another year.  As it was, I had two
children, and was licensed in two states, before I paid off all my loans...
 And I paid them off two years early...

Again, let's make the program realistic, and consider the person who has to
pay.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

----------
> From: Peter Lam <akaggie(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
> To: SEAINT <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> Subject: ASCE News Structural Community......
> Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 7:20 PM

"Structural community begins to assess need for separate professional
licensing and stronger academic credentials. Some of the foremost
practitioners of the structural engineering profession have begun exploring
the issue of separate licensing for their field. A group of about 50
leaders in the field of structural engineering examined various aspects of
the complex subject at a summit meeting hosted in June by ASCE's Structural
Engineering Institute (SEI) in Reston, Virginia, at the Society's world
headquarters."  Welcome your comments on spearate (SE) professional
licensing.